Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Home is Where the Heart is

Well, once again , we plan to close on our house and the new one this Friday. Things are looking pretty positive and I think it will go off without a hitch. In the mean time, I've been packing fast and furiously. Hannah is a great help labeling each box for me. Drew is frustrated he can't be here to help out (yeah right!!) I keep telling myself, "You can do this..you can do this." In cleaning out old things and going through pictures, I've really enjoyed the packing process. It has made me think about what a home really is. In the short 9 years we've been in this house..it has certainly become a "home" for us. Somewhere we all feel good and safe. Hannah's first steps were taken here, she learned to ride her bike with no training wheels in the street out front, we've grilled out many a night with friends and popped at least a million fireworks in the driveway. In the living room is where we prayed with Andrew and Matthew when they were 8 and asked Jesus into their heart. The ditch in front of the house has about 1,000 hours of playtime in them..and also the place Drew tore his ACL trying to get away from yellow jackets! This is the place that I clung to when Drew was in Iraq...and the place he came home to. We've celebrated so many birthdays, anniversaries and holidays in this house. As thrilled as we are to start a new chapter in our lives with this new house...the "home" on Auburn Drive will be missed for a good while I'm certain. For these last few days we have here..even though surrounded by walls of boxes..and Drew in Georgia...I'm making the most of our "home"!!! It's where my heart is today.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

How eloquent, Heather! Reminds me of when we traded in an old worn-out car and I started crying...Larry was puzzled...didn't I want a new car? Of course I did, but that old car had brought two babies home from the hospital!!! :)
Blessings to y'all in your new home.

Wishing Flower said...

Let me know if you need help. I have a little moving experience! Email me: mississippigirl@gmail.com

Stephenie said...

Hey girl! Congrats on your house selling...moving is usually bittersweet, but remember that the best is yet to come...

Anonymous said...

does that mean you do get your lake caroline house or did you have to find another one?

Barbara said...

Can't wait to see the pictures of your new home! Love the new blog but could you please print in black so these tired old chemo eyes could read it better?

Anonymous said...

Heather--Now that I have stopped crying--I want to say that this is the most touching & tender & loving & motherly & compelling & a bunch of other adjectives blog I have ever read. You "make me proud"

ILYABAAPAAHATN/daddy

Lil_Britt_Girl said...

Yes... you truly do have a "way with words"! I just want you to know how much I appreciate your comments to my blog! Somedays you totally just blow me away with your WOW (Words of Wisdom)! I totally love the last one... "If you can't sleep... Don't count sheep... Talk to the Shepard"... totally amazing! You are the greatest, Heather!

stacy seago said...

I hope ya'll got settled in! You'll have to give us some pointers.....