Sunday, October 26, 2008

N is for Nanny


Nanny, housekeeper, professional domestic engineer, best friend, etc....whatever you want to call it...This is our Odessa...a.k.a. Dessa, Soot...and many other names. Dessa came to work for our family in the mid 1960's when we lived in Fayette. I was born in '69 and we moved to Meadville where I grew up. Dessa learned to drive and followed us to Meadville where she continued to be a part of our family for about the next 30 and some odd years. It goes without saying that she raised us. She and my mom were as tight as could be and my dad praised her wonderful lunches. There are many things that I do today that I only do because I saw Dessa do it that way...the 2 main ones are ironing and making gravy for biscuits. She would arrive at the house every morning around 8:15 to find me hiding under the bathroom cabinet in the utility room. I would jump out and scare her and I promise..she acted REALLY scared every single time. I grew up watching the "stories" (soap operas) with her and we talked about how crazy they all were in Salem. She retired a few years ago...my mom has been through a couple of more "Dessa's" but none compare. She is truly a grand lady. Got to see her Saturday at my niece, Lauren's wedding. She looked fabulous!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so glad you posted that beautiful picture...it has been a long time since I saw Dessa and she looks great. Hope her health is good and she's enjoying retirement. Three lovely ladies in various seasons of life....how glorious!

Barbara said...

Dessa looks beautiful and I know she enjoyed her place of honor at the wedding. You and Hannah look lovely as well.

Lindsey said...

That is so nice! Like the dress!

Joddie said...

Real good picture of the 3 of you great "girls".
I'm sure Dessa sees Hannah as a minature Heather :)