Tuesday, January 6, 2009

My little homemaker

I never really learned to sew..I took home economics...made a sailor shirt...mine never quite had sleeves, but I think I got an A though. Drew learned to sew because of his family business. (a tarp plant). He recently covered some cushions for a neighbor with a machine that she was able to wrangle up. Hannah became very interested in what her daddy was doing, so that gave Santa an idea. She got a sewing machine for Christmas. With help...and I mean...help from Drew...we actually just finished a cute little apron that we cut out of a pattern and sewed! It was really fun!! I think I may try some curtains when I get ready to do all that. I mean..how hard could that be?


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now there's a life skill she will be very glad she learned young!

Lil_Britt_Girl said...

Too cute... might wanna let HER make the curtains, though. Ha ha ha!

I definitely wished I'd have paid closer attention when my mother and Aunt Daisy tried to teach me how to sew.

Anonymous said...

I have some trousers that need a small repair......

Lindsey said...

That is so cute!! I tried a skirt one time and let't just say I missed a step somewhere... lol But I do like to quilt.

Anonymous said...

o.mi.goodness. . . . she is sooooo way more talented than i could EVER be with a sewing machine! what a great thing to start learning at a young age. who knows. . . .maybe a future fashion designer???

Barbara said...

I gave Jennifer and Tiffany sewing machines several years ago. Jennifer used hers last year and made me a quilt. That's great that you gave Hannah one at such an early age.

Unknown said...

oh, my! I remember making the sailor shirt. Home Ec in Jr. High at the Vo-tech ...the process was fun, but the nightmare came the day we actually had to wear the shirt to class. Mine resembled a maternity top and sat crooked on my shoulders-HA!
Erin, my daughter, got a machine for her last b-day also. She has shown much more talent than we had in those days--PTL.

Melissa said...

Ithought about getting one for my daughter this past year. I was a little scared to with me never learning to sew. I will have to get her one this year. Do you think it will be too hard with noone to help. It is a great toy and teaches her so much she can use later on. Your family looks so sweet and nice. Love the cookie letter. Thanks for visiting my blog. I live in madison as well.