Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Influenced by...Odessa Horton

I'm not sure that anything can put into words what this lady means to my life. Many of you know Dessa, but for those that don't let me set this up for you...Dessa came to "care" for our family in 1967 when we lived in Fayette, MS. I was born in 1969 and we loved to Meadville. Dessa learned to drive, got her driver's license, and came to care for our family in Meadville. I grew up with Dessa. She spoiled me rotten. She cooked anything I wanted. She played barbies in the woods with me. She let me help clean and taught me to cook so many things. I felt there was nothing this lady wouldn't do for me. When our parents were out of town, Dessa would stay with us and sleep in our guestroom and there I was all up in her business. After the lights were off, I would just talk and talk to her. Sometimes I would ask her questions and she wouldn't answer me. Finally I asked her, "Why aren't you answering me? I know you hear me talking to you.." Once she replied, "I was talkin' to God." I guess that's the first time I realized that you can talk to God just like a person....and apparently I was interrupting them. I was only 5 years old when that happened but she truly ministered to me that night.
She has since "retired" from caring for us and my mom has yet to find anyone to match her!! Truly one of a kind. She always was and continues to be a blessing to me and to many..

3 comments:

#1 Bro said...

The three of us will always be able to say that we really had two Mamas.....

Pat said...

What a sweet tribute to Dessa. She is indeed a gracious lady. My special family caregiver was Almeda. She is one of the first people I want to visit with in heaven!

Barbara said...

Dessa and Janie Dean James were two of a kind. You will have to ask Jennifer about Janie Dean. We have pictures of her on our wall. Not a day goes by that I don't think of her and wonder what she would say or think about what we are doing now. I miss her most at Christmas when I am doing the goodie cooking. She loved that. yes, she and Dessa were two of a kind. I love them both.