Thursday, May 14, 2009

things that make me happy

It is HOT today, but I got down and dirty planting things. It makes me happy. If anyone knows my parents, I got that honest. They love plants and flowers.
Caladiums are one of my favorite. I planted these bulbs not too very long ago and they are already springing up. I chose the pink and green this year..
I bought this tiny little sprig of asparagus fern about 3 years ago and it's turned into a monster. It's so happy in this pot so I gave it a little colorful company!

I wish I had a video of me planting this planter of begonias.. I got down on my knees and started pulling old pansies from the winter out..only to find that it was absolutely full of fire ants!! I quickly did the fire ants dance and checked my arms and legs to make sure none had gotten on me..didn't see any...moved on to the next planter to do the same thing and let the mad fire ants die down. Soon after digging into the next planter, my right armpit started to feel like fire may be shooting from it. I did the dance again and found 2 fire ants under my pit. I know...total over share, but thought it was worth sharing. It was quite comical!

I recently planted 2 hibiscus on each side of the front door and they look great! LOVE the peach colored ones!!

Planted several orange marigolds out front...

This is my little croton baby...it's died several times and always seems to come back to life.


some extra begonias I had left for the outside table..
and last but not least...the tomato plants Drew planted right before he left. We LOVE fresh tomatoes in the summer..but who doesn't?









4 comments:

Stephenie said...

In the springtime, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt. ~ Margaret Atwood. Looks like you have fulfilled that quote! Beautiful "gardens"! You certainly got the "Gabbert Green Thumb"

Anonymous said...

ooohhhh. . . i LOVED this post. flowers and plants make me so happy. i LOVE working out in my yard. everything you did looks GREAT. we're thinking of yall and praying for your family!!

Junebug said...

LOVE the begonias. and the hibiscus. oh, and the marigolds.
thanks for sharing!!

Barbara said...

Do you want to join the garden club?