Tuesday, April 21, 2009

small things

God keeps bringing these "small things" up. And when you think about it..things really are small. I think it may mean more to someone who has gotten through a life altering event..and put in perspective..in a perfect world..it should mean the same thing to everyone, but it's hard to live that way. Drew's last deployment really shook me deep. I felt like I held my breath for about 18 months and then finally let it out when I saw him get off that bus. Like anyone would say about cleaning out a fridge or freezer, "Oh I will NEVER let it get like that again!"..but time passes and it always ends up just the same...or at least ours does..it's because you get busy and you forget. God keeps reminding me lately how this applies to my life in particular. When Drew was gone last time, it was during the long course of his deployment that I realized exactly how many pictures I DIDN'T have of us together, how many movies we said we were going to see but never did, how much time we didn't spend together...and I vowed Lord, we have to fix this! Bring him home safely and I will forget all the small things that keep us from spending quality time together!! I will say since he came back in 2006...we have done much better at paying attention to things that matter and less to things that really don't. I guess it really came to terms for me in the past couple of weeks. We've been busy as bees "getting things in order" (what does that really mean anyways) Re-doing a will, power of attorney, insurance, birth certificates, tying up loose ends...and then came Friday night..a 20 year old young man in Drew's unit was killed instantly in a car accident. He had a full military funeral on Monday. I can't even imagine what his parents must be going through. To have a son about to leave the country and being scared enough about that...never expecting to lose him another way. It really stopped me in my tracks and I felt like God was saying, Heather, you're doing the small stuff again...focus on what I'm teaching you through this. I have a feeling it's almost "pruning" time. Well, let me shut this blog down for today...sorry about the random rambling...got all serious on ya didn't I?
I did clean the tub today...it's NOT a small thing. I consider it a cardio workout....and my husband has caught fish for supper...that's a BIG thing... Go spend some time with your family.. :)

5 comments:

Pat said...

such a powerful, full-of-wisdom post! thank you...you ministered to me once again.

Melanie B said...

Ramble on, girl. My heart goes out to you all in every way as I understand completely where you are coming from. (Especially the "Waiting to Exhale" part- gosh, I have almost used those exact same words before...)
You have given a reminder that Courage is not an easy trait to possess. Keeping you in my prayers.

Barbara said...

It's too bad we have to have things happen to us to realize that it really is the small things that are the most important-watching the sunset, holding a child, saying something to someone when we could have just as easily not said it. You are wonderfully wise for your young years. Praying for you and your family.

DADDY&MAMA said...

LOVE YA, SWEETHEART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lindsey said...

Well, I haven't blogged in a while and after catching up I don't know where to start... This just adds to the encouraging change that is going on in my life. Chris said, 'Are you crying bc of reading her blog?'... I appreciate and enjoy our friendship and hope you know if you ever need anything I am always around! Please tell Drew he is in our prayers along with your family.