Wednesday, August 12, 2009

rules are made to be broken..

..Some would say. I must say that I got a nice laugh out of reading Hannah's elementary handbook. I know it's been a few years since I've been in elementary school. Wonder what it would've been like to have a time machine and travel to the future back then and read this handbook..I'm sure most of us would be very confused at reading today's rules. I won't go over every single one..cause there's ALOT of them..but I will touch on a few highlights that are my personal favorites.

Hair and body should be free from obnoxious odors. (that speaks for itself)
Shoes, sandals, or boots shall be worn at all times with shoes being laced and tied. No cleats or slippers, and no shoes with wheels. (do kids actually wear slippers to school?)
Appropriate underclothing should be worn. No clothing considered and designed as an undergarment should be worn on the outside of clothing. (I mean, really? That ruins Hannah's outfit for tomorrow!)
Picks, combs, rollers and other styling devices shall not be worn in hair. (I'm wondering what "other styling devices" is...)
Unless prescribed for medical reasons, sunglasses are not to be worn inside of the building. (so Michael Jackson's brothers all had on shades for medical reasons at his memorial service??)
Young men shall not be permitted to wear earrings or conceal the earrings with a Band-aid or any other material. Neither males nor females shall wear rings or studs in their noses, tongues, or other body parts. (Shoot!)
Biking shorts shall not be worn..(where did that come from? don't know any kid that has ever wanted to wear biking shorts to school..)
Males are not permitted to wear skirts and/or garments traditionally designed to be worn by females. (ok..this one worries me..)
Elementary students are not allowed to wear make up. (YAY!!!!! the only rule that really applies to us!! and I can just blame it on the rule book!)

I read these to Hannah tonight and we got a good laugh. I think we laughed more at the fact that if nobody had ever done any of these things..it wouldn't be a rule. I believe it's going to be a good school year!! Let's roll!

3 comments:

Wishing Flower said...

Yeah, it is sad that someone has done those things to create the rule! We laugh at them too and then I silently gasp. Hope y'all had a great 1st day!

Pat said...

after 30 years of being an educator, I can assure you that each of these ridiculous rules has a basis and foundation in the fact that it was tried...usually more than once! we usually understood why the kids dressed the way they did when we saw the parents who came to pick up their child. :)
yikes! you just wouldn't believe.....

Barbara said...

I hope Jennifer reads this; it's hilarious!!